Re: [AMC-List] 401 surging

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, russ hathaway wrote:

> Is a gas tank sock really needed? When I repaced the
> tank in my Hornet, the sock was almost gone. I tore it
> off, cleaned all the residue and installed it with an
> open end. I am running a cheapo filter just off the
> tank, then the fuel pump and a nice filter just before
> the engine. The mechanical pump has been stripped and
> is just plugging a hole. Isn't the sock just a
> strainer anyways.......Russ

The only problem I can see happening, and it's not THAT low a
probability, is if you were to get say a piece of tree leaf in
there, it could suck up flat against the angle-cut end of the
tube and totally cut off fuel.

You'd die cruisign flat an level on a freeway; pull over,
scratch head, car restarts, problem never recurs, because
the leaf moved out of the way while braking with engine off,
awaiting the next coincidence. Chalk it up to "oldcaritis".

Any old sort of crap screen on the end of the pickup would
reduce this probability to zero.

Aren't old cars fun?