Re: [AMC-List] Shipped! Trans coming, Rear Axle?

Re: [AMC-List] Shipped! Trans coming, Rear Axle?

--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net

---- Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> " From: Mark Price <markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> "
> " He shipped The T-5 out yesterday afternoon.
> " Well, to be fair he entered the info into FedEx's system at 3:48 am yesterday morning. It wasn't actually moving in their hands until 4PM though.
> "   It shows 90lbs, so lets hope he didn't ship me a pile of Bricks!
>
> that's about the right weight...
>
> " I found out that a Late model two wheel drive S10 axle is only 54"
> " wide, but it only has a 7 5/8" ring, slightly larger than the 7 9/16"
> " AMC-15 itis available with vented discs too and there are a bunch of
> " them around fairly cheap. Plus it can be had with 3:42 gears. The
> " spring perches would need moved and 1" wheel spacers would put it back
> " at correct width or deeper dish wheels. I'm just thinking on this for
> " now as one step at a time is good enough. Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> s-10s were available with 4.3 v6s - might they have had the bigger
> 8.5" diff?  or could it have come with a tow/hd pkg etc?

>From what I found doing searchs on car-parts.com is no hits on the 8.5" axle in two wheel drive applications at all. Maybe they are out there, haven't tried local yet, but the only listing is a 3:08 gear. I prefer 3:31-3:55 range with the 2.95 first gear trans. The 8.5 mainly went into ZR2's and the are like 8" wider then the two wheel drive axles!!!
>
> what about astro vans?  they were loosely based on the s-10.

I hadn't thought of the Astro, But I need to find width and disc brakes.
If I'm going to upgrade I want it ALL! :]
When I get the ZJ rear discs for the XJ I may try a quick test fit on one of my AMC15 axles as dependingon offest and the hub diameter the ZJ brakes may bolt onto the AMC15. That would be easy, but still leave the two piece axles. which I figure are the weak link in the picture anyway. I'm somewhat afraid that once I put the World class T-5 in it I'll be a little more prone to dump the clutch once and a while! With the 255/60/15's and the 4.0L making as much power as some of the small 8's. I'm guessing it won't be too long before I break SOMETHING!

> "  Stock 69 American axle width is supposed to be 56" correct?
>
> you're in luck -- '64-9 american amc15 is 55", amc20 is 55.3" - maybe
> just wider wheels.
>
> '73-6 dart/valiant 8.25" is 55.6".  disk brake cars these years have
> 5x4.5" bolt circle...  '91-up jeep axle tube ends are the same, so
> maybe zj or newish wrangler/liberty rear disks would fit.  lotsa 3.55
> posi jeeps...  lotsa '91-up with 8.25" axles...  width for the xj and
> afaik all jeeps is 60.75", though i don't know if this is flange-
> flange or track with the deep-offset wheels.  also, '95-up went to 29
> spline halfshafts, but perhaps they could be shortened and resplined
> to fit a late chuck in a dart housing.
>
> " Pluses are
> " One piece axle
> " vented disc
>
> fyi zj disks are solid, dunno about '04?-up wrangler/liberty

As far as I know all Jeeps use solid unvented rear rotors.
I'm in the process of buying a set to swap onto the rear of my 97 XJ.
I prefer the vented setup on the S-10, but want a bolt on setup for the XJ.
I don't care about the 4 3/4" bolt pattern as my wheels are dual pattern, plus if the S-10 axle is only an inch narrower I can use 1/4" spacers on each side and be good to go. The first wheels I had on came with 4 1/2" backspacing. the current wheels are 4 1/4" two 1/4" spacers would do the trick.