Re: [AMC-List] Band adjustment, little aluminum Borg Warner auto

Re: [AMC-List] Band adjustment, little aluminum Borg Warner auto

Hey Tom,
  You sure do bring back some old memories! When I lived in San Jose and
Santa Clara in the 70's, Len's AMC Auto Wreckers in San Jose was one of
the sponsors of the "Were Gone" 69 SC/Rambler that I raced and Stacks got
plenty of my business. From what I have heard, both are no longer in
business.

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:47:07 -0700 (PDT) Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
writes:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Sandwich Maker wrote:
>
> > " I wouldn't be surprised. I've had really good luck with this
> > " trans, even though it's small, air-cooled, and in a largeish
> car
> > " (Classic wagon).
> >
> > otoh it can't be -that- 'largeish' if a 199 will motivate it
> > adequately, automatic and all!
>
> Explain, "adequately".... !
>
> My 1963 Rambler Classic wagon is slow! And it's not just the
> propane conversion (probably cost me 15 hp max), it's just not
> a lot of HP, and it's a 3.31 rear.
>
> My Rambler came from Len's AMC Auto Wrecker in San Jose,
> October 1988. Pulled of the top of a pile of cars headed for
> the crusher. $300. It had an aluminum 196.5ci six, 3-speed
> manual column shift trans.  I had them yank the motor, and I
> towed it home behind my 232-powered Hornet (a terrible idea,
> but I was not killed).
>
> I somehow wrestled a 232 into it. Guess what, motor didn't
> fit stock x-member. (Recall this is pre-internet and for me,
> pre-AMC-club, even.)  Kyle at (cannot remember name of AMC parts
> place in San Jose, long gone now) told me I needed the 64-up
> x-member. Took Caltrans down, and carried it back on the train.
>
> Bought a custom-built T96+OD from an ex-AMC dealer Ed Stack
> (I think his name was). $400, all new parts. Had big sprad
> between 1st and 2nd, just great for 1st+OD. Stripped 1st gear
> teeth off it cresting a very, very steep hill in San Francisco,
> loaded with camping gear on the car's maiden (sic) voyage,
> a few months later. Took trip anyways, 2nd and 3rd gear only.
>
> (I think the idea was, the original 196.5ci six simply couldn't
> produce enough torque to break a flimsy T96 transmission in
> a 3200 lb car. The 232 apparently could. Did AMC ship 1964+
> big cars with 232 and T96?)
>
> Kyle's biz partner (can't think of his name) up near Sacramento,
> was parting out a 65 Classic, I took the rearend and the M35
> auto trans.  Had the trans rebuild by B&E Transmissions in San
> Fran, 1990. (That's the brain-surgeon quality place I wish I
> had down here). A decade later, 1996, pinion shaft sheared on
> San Fernando Road!  At a stop light, no less. Rear end rebuilt
> by Dad's Old Car Garage, Culver City, now closed. That cost me
> $1500, but it has a NOS ring and pinion and new bearings.
>
> Still driving on that rebuild! But about 6 - 7 fluid/filter
> changes and half dozen band adjustments. I literally climb
> mountains with this car, you can't believe the places I've
> driven this rambler, loaded to the ... with camping gear. Over
> 10,000 feet, death valley in july, route 80 east to reno,
> 100 miles of dirt roads in NV and UT, stuck in deep sand in
> jeep-ville going to remote hot springs. I even, once, climbed
> mild rocks in the Monitor Valley in Nevada (that was foolish,
> I had to crawl backwards a foot at a time to avoid sitting the
> trans on the rocks).
>
> If I had to choose between my shiny new Hornet and the Rambler,
> [...]

Jock Jocewicz - President/Editor NAMDRA     NAMDRA@xxxxxxxx
8537 Antioch Rd., Salem, WI 53168 (262) 843-4326
          JOIN NAMDRA, the best AMC club around!!!
'06 AMC NATIONALS - SEP. 14-16, 2006 - CORDOVA DRAGWAY PARK, CORDOVA, IL
AMO#19, NAMDRA#46, AMCRC#974,  NHRA#41915, IHRA#6766