[AMC-List] T-96 in big cars?

--- original message ----------------
>From Tomj@xxxxxxx
(I think the idea was, the original 196.5ci six simply couldn't produce
enough torque to break a flimsy T96 transmission in a 3200 lb car. The
232 apparently could. Did AMC ship 1964+ big cars with 232 and T96?)

----------------

Nope, no T-96 behind anything bigger than a 196 in the big cars. There
were a few 65 Classic fleet cars with 199, they MIGHT have got it. In
the small cars it was the same way, but the last T-96 model used in the
70-72 (I think as late as 72) Gremlin and Hornet was used behind the
232. It was a T-96J that had a bigger input shaft and front bearing. As
far as I could tell when I had my T-96J rebuilt that's the only change.
The J model was ONLY used by AMC a couple years, so it was hard to find
a new input shaft! I used that one behind a stock 4.0L and stripped the
synchro out after less than 100 miles, and then taking it easy! The
synchro is the weak point. Double clutching solved that, but made shifts
(especially down shifts) slow. Still have the trans! I wouldn't want a
T-96 behind a 232 even in a small car.