Re: [AMC-List] I-Pod, MP3, MP4, Poket PC's..... Sattelite!

Re: [AMC-List] I-Pod, MP3, MP4, Poket PC's..... Sattelite!

" From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" OK, so an Ipod actually doesn't play MP3's... it plays
" a proprietary format called MP4 which locks you into
" their system.  For those who have been captured and
" are looking for a way out due to a desire to change
" formats there is a software package called "Bad Apple"
" that allows for translation.

mp4 is not proprietary, it's mp3 with pictures.  realplayer and wmp as
well as quicktime can play it.  tivo uses it.  well actually since vid
and aud come from separate chips, their files have a soundless mp4 vid
stream + a mp3 stream, for computational reasons.  there are tools you
can run under linux at least that distill the tivo file into a proper
mp4 which you can watch on any computer, but they take cpu cycles a
tivo doesn't have on-the-fly.

there are probably lotsa tools that'll extract the sound data from an
mp4 file.