Re: [AMC-List] Proportioning Valve

AMC used two pressure settings: 400 psi for Rebel/Matador/Ambo, 200 psi
for everyting else. So there was no fine tuning. The easiest thing to do
is get an adjustable proportioning valve and install it in the rear
brake line after the existing junction block. You can get them that have
pressure settings on them -- check various hot rod shops, Summit, and
Jegs. That would make it easy -- just set it to 400 psi.

Alternately, get a GM combo valve. MP Brakes (www.mpbrakes.com)
recommends (and sells) that. It's used on all there hot rod and muscle
car installations. I don't know what psi it's set at, neither do they
for that matter. I suspect it's somewhere between 200 and 400 psi
though. It will take a little more plumbing work.

Any valve from a big AMC will work, but note that in the 70s the big car
combo valve also had a metering function. That prevents the front brakes
from applying until ~100 psi is built up (a fraction of a second). It
takes ~100 psi to overcome the springs in drum brakes, so the metering
valve makes sure all four brakes apply at the same time. The drawback is
the plumbing -- two lines go fromt the master cylinder to the combo
valve with NO "T" to the right front caliper. The combo valve then has
three lines from it -- both front lines and a rear line. I don't know if
this setup was used through 78 or not, but as far as I've been able to
determine metering was never used on small cars. The late model (80s)
small car/Eagle comboi valve should work equally well -- it's a GM combo
valve. The small cars got heavier as time and safety regs progressed.
Check out XJ Cherokees as well. I've got an aluminum master cylinder and
combo valve (mounted very near the master) from one of those that I'd
intended to use, then decided to convert a Ford Ranger power brake
booster and master.

With the adjustable valve you can get a short length of brake line (6"
is the shortest I've seen) and connect it directly to the junction
block. Then make an "S" bend in the original line and no lines will need
to be cut. Just make sure the "S" bend doesn't put the line to close to
the exhaust.