[AMC-List] Little Tiny Cat

Well, I have shifted gears on my projects and the 64
Classic with the intermittant "no oil to the valves"
problem has been pushed aside for now.  As I posted
before, it will also need the throw-out lever and
bearing looked at before anything else happens.  I
also have another T-96 with OD tranny I can put in it.

I am now working on a 77 Gremlin X with the 258 and
auto tranny with the non-feedback BBD carb.  This car
is certificated for CA emissions and has two catalytic
convertors.  The first is just a wide spot in the
exhaust pipe which looks like a snake which had
swallowed a gerbil. The second is a more conventional
oval cylinder below the floorboards.

This two-cat arrangement is the first one I had seen
and I assume that AMC did it as a jury rig to pass CA
emissions until the feedback carb was developed,
probably in 1978 or 79.  The engine I am putting in
the car came from a 76 Hornet which I had parted out
recently.

I had already mentioned in a previous post, the "high
stall" convertor I found on the Gremlin X.  The tranny
shop which overhauled the 904 tranny said they didn't
have any data and could not tell me the stall speed
for the torque convertor.

According to the literature I have read (Don't ask me
where, because I couldn't tell you now.) the 2-bbl 258
engine was supposed to have a hotter cam too, but I
don't know the specs.   If anyone can shed any light
on this, I would appreciate it.

BTW the term above "jury rig" is a nautical term and
it's not "jerry rig" or "gerry rig" or anything else.
Pet peeve from an ex-Navy guy.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA