Re: [AMC-List] T5 comments

I've been having a heck of a time posting from the website with nothing
getting through unless I email Frank first and have him do it for me.  I'm
trying a different way this time, hopefully will work...

Something I'd like to add to this;  As some of you may know, I have a '69
American with a '70 390.  It had a T10 in it when I bought the car, but I
like OD transmissions, and got a deal on a complete SVO T5 setup that came
out of a Spirit-bellhousing to driveshaft.

Mark is right about the torque ratings afaik.  World Class doesn't always
mean higher torque rating.  Mine being the SVO version is rated at 330 or
335 (I've seen both listed for my part #).  Either way, it's the strongest
one they make to my knowledge.  I've only used this car on the street, but
it's held up quite well and has been a great improvement.

My 390 came out of an AMX, is basically stock shortblock with R4B,
headers/flowmasters, roller rockers, and unknown lumpy cam.  Nothing too
wild for power output being my point (although plenty to smolder tires and
provide brisk acceleration)

I had changed the rearend gears to 3.15 (from 3.54) when I had the T10.
With the T5, there's not enough gear for OD until 70+ IMO.  I've heard
repeatedly that 1st would be too short if I went back to the 3.54's, but I
don't think so from "seat of the pants".  Low gear stretches quite well, and
I'd rather be a little short there than long in 5th.

I'm not sure if I have the 2.95 or 3.35 1st, but OD is .68 iirc.

It would be nice to go with the HD Tremec unit, but complete setups (new)
are probably in the $3K+ range by the time you get everything.  I have
~$1100 into mine total.  The trans was near new (7k miles I was told, and
believe from feel/looks).

Jim Boone
Mims, FL