[AMC-List] T-5 comments

SNIP
afaik the '83-5 5.0 t-5 was rated 240 ft-lbs, a tick higher than the
jeep's 220 (ft lbs)
SNIP

The world class unit is rated around 325 to 300 ft lbs of torque. This
compares to the about 400 ft lbs of torque that a T-10 is rated at. This
is a significant increase over the lighter duty units used by Ford and
on the Jeep and AMC products.

SNIP
 i think this has something to do with output torque as  the 'stang 1st
is 2.95 vs. the jeep's 4.03.
SNIP
 This is in part true although to what extent for this comparison I am
not sure and would require a bit more looking up. However the torque
rating of both transmissions can be improved by rebuilding them using a
taller 1st and 2nd gear ratio, something which could be advisable if you
plan on installing either unit in a vehicle with  a rear axle ration in
the area of 3.54:1 or shorter. If you do not take into consideration the
final drive of the automobile involved you can spend a lot of money
installing a transmission that will then act like a pickem-up truck 4
speed with a totally unusable 1st gear often referred to as a grannie
low. This will leave you with a wide ratio 3 speed (starting off in 2nd)
and a steep overdrive.  Unless you are building a rock crawler or
something similar I am sure this is not the intent one began with when
starting on a 5 speed project.
If you choose to leave the factory T5 gearing alone you are best off
using something on the order of a 3.15:1 rear axle or taller such as
something in the high twos.

SNIP
The 80's mustang world class trans where known for stripping off third
gear,
SNIP

This is generally resolved by installing a Hurst Shifter on this
transmission.

SNIP
 it kinda dilutes the fun if you have to pussyfoot the tranny though,
and if you have to get one why not a later stronger unit?
SNIP

Well duh! If you gonna spend the money, why not find something worth
spending it on. The AMC 5 speed has it's place and I am sure that it can
be obtained cheap enough and you can make do with it on a low power
application. After all AMC did that for quite a few years, but the
better units are still out there at a reasonable price and once
installed stand a better chance of holding up over time. It just seems
to me if I am going to build me a car to drive, limiting it's
performance potential by installing a given weak transmission is not the
smartest way to go about it. But some times it might be. I dunno.
I would also seem to me as a guess anyway, that money spent trying to
have an adapter made to mate a Jeep transmission to a torque tube drive
live could be better spent by installing a live rear axle through a
variety of means and then spend $60.00 on having a drive shaft made.
Nobody ever said this hobby is cheap, either you have to have good
access to junk yard parts at almost no cost, a lot of skill in the cut
and weld categories or a lot of money to buy kits and then have them
installed. It also helps to know which end of a hammer to hold when you
are beating on things too!
I think Doc said that he had about $15,000 in his Hornet that he is
working very hard on. That is a reasonable number for the most part and
one that can be expected to have. I put that much into my Spirit but I
can do more things than Doc did for no other reason than my health is
better even if only slightly so. My big ticket items were a complete
interior and an over the counter fuel injection kit and having my
painting done. These were things that I had to go outside my
capabilities to obtain.
Most of my restification work or modifying has been well under a third
of that number but than again I am not looking to buy a set of big hoop
designer wheels and tires at $4000.00 + just so I can see my powder
coated 6 piston rear disc brake conversions at another $2000.00 or so. I
can be satisfied with a set of 17 inch wheels scarfed off of a Dodge
Caravan and tires from Wal-Mart if I have to. The rear drum brakes will
stop the car just fine thank you.
The rest of that $6000.00 will go into the motor and setting up what
ever I use for a transmission to make it fun for me to drive.
Who knows, when I get current projects cleaned up I might even purchase
a wrecked Acura with all the bells and whistles on it and transplant the
goodies into a Pacer. That could be fun.
John.