Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic custom/ overdrive

Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic custom/ overdrive

SNIP
so, i just bought that t86/r10 overdrive..
does anyone know what gear ratio is in the 62 classic 196 rear end? or
did they
come with several?
SNIP
Dunno, but I can look it up in the AM I think if you'd like

SNIP
 i found a wiring diagram for the overdrive. all these
switches and crap the guy had everywhere. is there a simple, more stock
looking
way they were wired up?
SNIP

I have a wiring diagram for your year, I would have to make a copy and
get it into a format that I could send to you.
As far as simple, the factory parts are to the best of my knowledge at
this time (to be verified);
The O.D. relay used to turn the unit on or off. 3 wires
The Kick Down Switch, manually operated used to drop out of over drive
for acceleration, 4 wires
The O.D. Governor used to keep the overdrive from functioning under a
given miles per hour, I think about 30 or so mph. 2 wires.
The O.D. Solenoid, used to shift the over drive in and out as it
functions as a 2 speed transmission. 2 wires
And one wire going to the distributor used to short out the ignition so
the engine will not run while the O.D.  transmission is being shifted.
This simulates (rather crudely but effectively) the action of taking
your foot off of the gas pedal and depressing the clutch while shifting
gears as you would for a  standard transmission.
John

 thanks for all the help everyone.