Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" the guy also has a t96 with overdrive unit and a long tail shaft. tail
" shaft looks like it is set up for a slip yoke not a torque tube tho.
" would i be able to take off that tail shaft and put my torque tube mount
" on instead?

this would be possible if amc adjusted the tranny-o/d adapter length
so that the o/d tailshaft was always the same length, but i don't know
if they actually did this.  otoh if you're talking about t-96 - t-96,
that should be a dropkick, though you might have to swap a lot of
parts.

" i would just rather get rid of my torque tube all together.
" have an open shaft. i think my 62 has the t96 in it now. if i got the
" t86, wouldnt it be able to stand the 304 better when i get ready to put
" it in? will the 86 bolt on to my bellehousing? or be able to redrill
" holes in my bellhousing for mounting to the 86?

iirc the t-86 has the same nose as the t-89, t-10, and t-15 - long 1
1/8" x 10 spline input and 4.64" retainer, though only the t-15 shares
bolt pattern - so it should bolt straight up to the 304 with a '66-'74
v8 bell.  as for strength - amc used it with 287s, ford with 289s;
it'd be a good match for the 304.  the t-96 would be hopeless.