Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

"Date: Saturday, June 3, 2006 04:52 PM
From: andrew hay <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" i came across a t86 tranny with a borg warner overdrive unit, torque
" tube mount and all. how hard would it be to shorten my torque tube to
" fit this set up, or would i even have to cause if i remeber right, i
" have a long tail shaft on my transmission, and i see this overdrive
" unit taking up where my long tail shaft is. did they put that long
tail
" shaft on the back of none overdrive units so they could use the same
" torque tube set up? if not, would i be able to cut a section of the
" torque tube out, reweld it and shorten the driveshaft? i have a
" triangulated 4 link for the rear now so the torque tube will not be
" stressed so cutting and welding shouldnt be a problem would it? thanks

i wouldn't be surprised if amc arranged all tranny +/- od setups to be
the same length - the t-96 had a -very- long tailshaft.

but -- doesn't the t-86 have a different nose from the t-96?  iirc it
has a aquarer pattern, larger retainer, and longer 1 1/8" dia input
shaft.  iirc frank searched for some time for the right bellhousing
for his 4.0 / '63 classic, before giving up and going auto."

Not quite. I wasn't able to find a T-86 OD unit. I did use a 79 multi
pattern bell housing with the 4.0L and a T-96. The T-96 just wasn't
strong enough for the 4.0L (then 4.6L) and I replaced it with an auto
because I couldn't find a T-86. I'm not sure about the bolt pattern and
bearing retainer diameter of the T-86. I wouldn't be surprised if it's
bigger -- would expect it actually. The T-96 is real light duty. The 86
and 96 may share the same bolt pattern though, the T-86 was a HD option
for 196 cars that normally came with a T-96.