Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

" From: <francis.swygert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" "Date: Saturday, June 3, 2006 04:52 PM
" From: andrew hay <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" but -- doesn't the t-86 have a different nose from the t-96?  iirc it
" has a squarer pattern, larger retainer, and longer 1 1/8" dia input
" shaft.  iirc frank searched for some time for the right bellhousing
" for his 4.0 / '63 classic, before giving up and going auto."
"
"
" Not quite. I wasn't able to find a T-86 OD unit. I did use a 79 multi
" pattern bell housing with the 4.0L and a T-96. The T-96 just wasn't
" strong enough for the 4.0L (then 4.6L) and I replaced it with an auto
" because I couldn't find a T-86. I'm not sure about the bolt pattern and
" bearing retainer diameter of the T-86. I wouldn't be surprised if it's
" bigger -- would expect it actually. The T-96 is real light duty. The 86
" and 96 may share the same bolt pattern though, the T-86 was a HD option
" for 196 cars that normally came with a T-96.

d'oh!  i just realized that if the t-86 has the nose i described, a
'66-'74 v8 bell would've matched it to your 4.0 - so that wouldn't
have been the problem.