Re: [AMC-List] AC installing

SNIP
The issue with the hoses is that R-134a molecules are small enough to
bleed
through them. It was the late 80's when the industry started switching
barrier type hoses which don't have this problem.
SNIP
A good friend of mine kept me abreast of the happenings during this time
era here in the valley of the sun as discoveries were being made. As a
side bar to this subject the outfit that supplied him with replacement
compressors for A/C compressor repairs finally sent a representative out
to talk to him. The subject, why was he the only customer of theirs that
was NOT sending compressors back as defective? While the issues of the
hoses and the smaller molecular structure of R-134 is true, the real
world was demonstrating that the existing hoses in use were permeated so
heavily that there porosity was no longer an issue and the systems would
hold a long term charge providing of course gaskets were good.  The only
comment I can make to this as I am pretty much experiencing the same
phenomenon my self. If the A/C unit has spent many years as defective
due to lack of pressure, the only problems I have seen trying to bring
it back alive using r-134 was gasket blowing due to the fact that they
were dried out. Once all the gaskets are fixed, the hoses have not given
any problems. Of course they are inspected prior to use for damage and
if found replaced or rebuilt as required. The heat and the sun (UV) do a
number on rubber around here.

Snip
 Also, in the case of anything sold new in the US or Canada as a
Rambler, the factory hoses are old enough where they're likely bad by
now anyway.
SNIP

Well----------that can be a value judgment, the newest 134 conversion I
have done is a 1992, the oldest is a 1975 and the hoses were re-used
after inspection.

My A/C had better work, I spent 6 hours in the car today and it 112 F in
the afternoon. That is not a good time to drive around with a defective
A/C.
John.