Re: [AMC-List] 64 Rambler AC and "R" mirror wanted

Re: [AMC-List] 64 Rambler AC and "R" mirror wanted

Finding a factory unit for a 64 will be tough. Check with Vintage Air
and Southern Air. Both sell under dash units that look period anyway.
The original system for the American was little more than a custom under
dash unit.

As Andrew pointed out, the small Sanden compressors are much more
effificent. Local AC shops carry a bracket that adapts the Sanden
compressor to the old style mount. All I'd look for is an original AC
mount for the engine and use all new parts for the rest of the system.
The universal kits work fine, but the brackets for the compressor needs
lots of work for most AMCs. Most of the kits don't come with the
bracket, you buy that separately depending on make/model.