Re: [AMC-List] AC installing

"Date: Thursday, June 1, 2006 08:10 PM
From: J. Johnson <imfatdad@xxxxxxxxx>

I was wondering, using a vintage AC unit, will one need to use the
older, more costly Freon in order for it to function??  Have been told
that the alledged compatible mix stuff out now basically can cause
seizures of internals as the oils when mixed together are not truly
compatible..   Now if a unit is completely uncharged, the newer 134 (I
think is called) CAN be used, yes???  Thanks in advance.."

This can be confusing! There are two main types of oil, Ester and PAG.
Ester should only be used with R-134a, PAG is a synthetic that works
with most refrigerants and is compatible with R-134a or R-12. If you run
an incompatible oil the compressor could seize due to lack of
lubrication.

It's easy when starting with a fresh system -- get the right oil. All
new aftermarket systems use R-134a, so you should have no problems. When
converting a system make sure all the oil is out then install the
correct oil. The oil cans are labeled "not compatible with xxx". Read
the fine print! There are a few good conversion sites on the net, a
search will turn them up.