[AMC-List] Whiney transmission on my '62 Classic

[AMC-List] Whiney transmission on my '62 Classic

Guys:

Back in the fall a number of you were exceedingly
helpful when I pulled and then replaced the auto
transmission on my '62 Classic.  Today I actually got
around to starting the car (a few things came up with
that car and some others, hence the delay!) and as of
right now I'm not a happy camper because the
transmission is whining.

Here's the scenario: I filled the transmission with
oil per the instructions (5 quarts before starting,
then start and add 4 more for a total of 9).  Before
moving or starting the car I adjusted the auto shift
linkage by disconnecting it at the transmission,
pushing in "L" button, and then back under the car I
moved the lever all the way to the back position and
reconnected it.  I then started the car and drove it
by backing up about 20 feet out of the garage.  It
seems to shift right into reverse, then into D1 when I
pulle back in.  It moved back and forth without any
real shuddering.  But the transmission whines whether
the car is in gear or not.

Am I hearing a pump?  What else should I check?

Please-oh-pretty-please don't tell me I have to pull
that transmission back out. That was a job I really
don't want to repeat!

Thanks for any and all help, guys!

- Justin