Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 06:33, d stohler wrote:

>   i have been told its an amc model 15 axle i have in my
>  62 classic.

They may not be available in Iraq... but you need to have a Technical
Service Manual for your car. Probably $50 - $75 ,but worth every penny.

The rear axle assembly in the 62 is a torque tube design, and utterly
incompatible with the later rears. As far as I know, no serious hard
parts will interchange with the later rears.

Torque tube rears are very reliable, very quiet, very smooth, very
heavy, and terrible handling. While they can be extremely hard to work
on some parts of them, you also hardly need to since the thing is sealed
from the weather.

Axle bearings are A2's or A6's though :-)