Re: [AMC-List] Water Pump 1974 AMX Javelin (getting the rightpump...)

Re: [AMC-List] Water Pump 1974 AMX Javelin (getting the rightpump...)

Yes, that's what they are doing, collapsing catalogs into one size fits
as many as possible. They know the castings are the same for all AMC
V-8s or sixes for the most part, so they collapse the part numbers to as
few as possible. That way they can stock one pump that you might have to
change a hose location or something on, but it will otherwise work fine.
In their zeal to stock as few parts as possible, they overdo it though.
The people collapsing the numbers don't have access to the real parts,
they just do a little (to little) "research". There were at least two
different bolt patterns, two shaft lengths, and two different heater
hose outlets (on opposite sides, so plumbing around isn't easy) for the
196 water pump. There were eight different combos IIRC, out of 16
possible. One or two could be consolidated, so there should be at least
six part numbers. Try ordering one though and it's pot luck that you get
the correct one. 6-7 years ago I ordered two from NAPA, which is usually
good, and got the wrong one. The reorder was different but wrong, so I
had them send my old one in to be rebuilt. That's the ONLY way you're
guranteed to get one that fits correctly. Most stores can get them
rebuilt, but it takes 2-4 weeks depending on location.

On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 00:41, Jim Blair wrote:
> A: You got the pump for the wrong model or too new. Ask for one for a
V8
> Hornet and you should get the correct one.

TomJ --

In a perfect world, yes ... :-)

Six or eight, the aftermarket world's data is corrupting. I think
they're consolidating back catalogs, collapsing models into model-year,
or something, as it's harder and hard to even get quality stores to
document the difference, even when they know there is one.