Re: [AMC-List] Water Pump 1974 AMX Javelin (getting the rightpump...)

Re: [AMC-List] Water Pump 1974 AMX Javelin (getting the rightpump...)

You may want to try Kanter Auto Products (http://www.kanter.com) if you
strike out elsewhere. I was having a devil of a time finding a water pump
with the correct outlet size for my 67 wagon last year and they had it.

Matt

At 03:24 AM 5/30/2006 +0000, you wrote:
>Yes, that's what they are doing, collapsing catalogs into one size fits
>as many as possible. They know the castings are the same for all AMC
>V-8s or sixes for the most part, so they collapse the part numbers to as
>few as possible. That way they can stock one pump that you might have to
>change a hose location or something on, but it will otherwise work fine.
>In their zeal to stock as few parts as possible, they overdo it though.
>The people collapsing the numbers don't have access to the real parts,
>they just do a little (to little) "research". There were at least two
>different bolt patterns, two shaft lengths, and two different heater
>hose outlets (on opposite sides, so plumbing around isn't easy) for the
>196 water pump. There were eight different combos IIRC, out of 16
>possible. One or two could be consolidated, so there should be at least
>six part numbers. Try ordering one though and it's pot luck that you get
>the correct one. 6-7 years ago I ordered two from NAPA, which is usually
>good, and got the wrong one. The reorder was different but wrong, so I
>had them send my old one in to be rebuilt. That's the ONLY way you're
>guranteed to get one that fits correctly. Most stores can get them
>rebuilt, but it takes 2-4 weeks depending on location.
>

>On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 00:41, Jim Blair wrote:
> > A: You got the pump for the wrong model or too new. Ask for one for a
>V8
> > Hornet and you should get the correct one.
>
>TomJ --
>
>In a perfect world, yes ... :-)
>
>Six or eight, the aftermarket world's data is corrupting. I think
>they're consolidating back catalogs, collapsing models into model-year,
>or something, as it's harder and hard to even get quality stores to
>document the difference, even when they know there is one.
>
>or go to http://www.amc-list.com

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com