Re: [AMC-List] rear end leaking....

Date: Sunday, May 28, 2006 07:55 PM
From: J. Johnson <imfatdad@xxxxxxxxx>

I noticed that my rear differential is leaking out the front of the
diff.  (65 American) Anyone know procdure to repair this (my TSM does
not seem to address this unless I am reading wrong area..) and the part
number(s) for seals, etc that I will need to fix...  Any advice is
appreciated...

If this is a 196 car with the "big nut" driveshaft, good luck finding
the seal! It's a stepped seal that is no longer made. Check the AMC
dealers such as Blaser's, and Galvins. They might have one, or there may
be repros since I located one about eight years ago (from Blaser, I
think). They were difficult to find, and I was told only 3-4 were in
inentory at that time.

The seal itself mounts litk any other seal -- it just presses in. Go to
the rear axle section on removing the driveshaft. That big nut is
difficult to get tight, and if it isn't tightened enough the driveshaft
can come out, I know from experience! Make sure the pinion shaft and
rear yoke splines are clean and dry when reinstalling. I used a pair of
large wrenches with 24" cheater handles, bracing one against the floor
and pulling as hard as I could to tighten. That finally worked.

If you have a 232 car it's got a "normal" rear u-joint yoke that's
bolted on, and the joint is bolted on also. That seal you can get at any
local parts store. It will help to get the number off the seal so they
can cross reference it. A Hornet/Concord or Gremlin/Spirit rear axle
will fit if you decide to swap, but you'll have to get the driveshaft
also. That axle is a little wide for pre 64 Americans, but will fit with
stock wheels. A friend put one in a 1960 model. It would have been
better with deeper wheels, but it did work.