Re: [AMC-List] Dash Light Gremlins

Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 14:29:29 -0400
From: Steve Johnston <SJohn89715@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] Dash Light Gremlins

Every once and a while, when I turn up the dash light
dimmer, my gas
gauge and temp gauge mysteriously fly up to the top.
It only happens
every so often and normally doesn't happen at all.  In
other words, a
mystery.  I changed the headlight switch and this
didn't help.  Since
it only happens occasionally I have just lived with
it.  Any ideas
though as to what is causing it?

Steve Johnston,
Editor, Northern Ramblers of Canada Newsletter,

Steve,

Since both gauges are reading high at the same time,
it sounds like you have a ground in the instrument
circuit which is intermittent.  Both the fuel gauge
and the temperature gauge read high when there is low
resistance and low when there is high resistance.
It probably has nothing to do with your headlight
switch.  Check behind your panel for a bad ground.
You could connect an ohmmeter to the fuel gauge
connection on the circuit board or the temp gauge
connection and also to a good ground.  Then jiggle
other connections and look for stray wires.  The
ohmmeter will show when you have a direct connection
to ground.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA