Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project-T-5

Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project-T-5

Dave
Snip
Get the bell housing from any 79 or later six cylinder manual shift car.
That
has the bolt pattern for the T-5 and will bolt to the 304.
Snip
Actually  from a 1977 or later 304 V8 or I-6 manual shift car that uses
the SR-4 T-4 or T-5 transmission. NOT 4 CYLINDER VERSIONS!
Make sure you are getting the throw out arm and bearing with the bell
housing! 3 speed manual transmission bell housing will not work.
SNIP
If you're using a 304 you can use the AMC 15 axle.
Snip
This is probably a safe assumption except;
AMC used the Dana 20 with all V-8's.
I believe the 304 develops more torque than any of the I-6's do and that
is what you have to worry about.
The Dana 15 uses a $100.00 brake drum while the Dana 20 uses a $25.00
brake drum.
You can find a nice 3.07:1 final drive in a Dana 15 which works well
with a 5 speed.
Whereas a Dana 20 the first choice is a 3.15:1 which is o.k., but second
choice is somewhere in the high 2's.
The point is moot anyway as you have decided to use a Ford 8.8

Good Luck
John