Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project-T-5

Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project-T-5

" From: "John Elle" <johnelle@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Dave
" Snip
" Get the bell housing from any 79 or later six cylinder manual shift car.
" That
" has the bolt pattern for the T-5 and will bolt to the 304.
" Snip
" Actually  from a 1977 or later 304 V8 or I-6 manual shift car that uses
" the SR-4 T-4 or T-5 transmission. NOT 4 CYLINDER VERSIONS!

likewise also 5sp and some 4sp jeeps [cjs mostly afaik] from the '80s.

" Make sure you are getting the throw out arm and bearing with the bell
" housing! 3 speed manual transmission bell housing will not work.

there are apparently multidrilled bells with both the t150 3sp and
sr4/t4/t5 4/5sp patterns, but most t150 bells wouldn't have the t5
holes drilled even if they have the meat in the right places.

btw you will want a t150-application pilot bushing and clutch disk,
and maybe output yoke too, as it has the same pilot and splines as the
mustang 5.0 t5.

" SNIP
" If you're using a 304 you can use the AMC 15 axle.
" Snip
" This is probably a safe assumption except;
" AMC used the Dana 20 with all V-8's.
" I believe the 304 develops more torque than any of the I-6's do and that
" is what you have to worry about.
" The Dana 15 uses a $100.00 brake drum while the Dana 20 uses a $25.00
" brake drum.
" You can find a nice 3.07:1 final drive in a Dana 15 which works well
" with a 5 speed.
" Whereas a Dana 20 the first choice is a 3.15:1 which is o.k., but second
" choice is somewhere in the high 2's.

nit: -amc- 20.  dana 20 is a transfer case.

amc m20 ratios were 2.86, 3.15, 3.54...  but jeeps had 3.07 and 3.31
m20 gears on the '3-carrier'.  there were also 2.56 and 2.73 on the
'2-carrier'.

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" yes, i am using a t-5 from a mustang, but there
" were some t-5's used by amc, just not strong enough for my needs. well,
" im hoping to run a t-5. i have to measure distances first. i want to
" retain my bench seats, but the shifter on the mustang t-5 looks a little
" far back.

solution to two problems: get a junk chevy s-10 t5.  the 'stang t5
retainer is too big for the amc bell's registration hole but the
chevy's isn't.  also, the s-10 t5 has about the furthest-forward
shifter loc of any version, so swap extension cases.

while you have the tranny apart, i'd suggest a warner aftermarket 0.8
5th in place of the too-tall stock 0.68, and a 5speeds.com
countershaft stabilizer.

"   another issue i forgot to mention. seatbelts. the car never had any
" in it. is the floor pan strong enough in these cars to run bolt thru
" with about a 2-3" washer on the bottom side to keep from pulling thru
" to easy? doesnt bother me much ridin without them, but the wife, she
" is paranoid about it ya know? im content to go with just some lap
" belts with chrome latches.

belts may have been optional, in which case you'd already have the
anchors.  otherwise, i'd look to the underfloor reinforcements for the
seat tracks as strong places to attach to.