Re: [AMC-List] Funniest thing I haveseen in a long time- ELECTRIC TURBOS

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 05:28, Frank Swygert wrote:
> I understand that, what I was getting at is if the turbo was connected
> to an air compressor instead of an engine it would still spin and
> create boost. But I see your point -- the heat in this case expands air
> faster than a cool air stream would, so efficiency increases some.

Yes, but. In the air compressor example, there would be no "recovery" of
lost energy; you'get get out only what you put in (electric motor, etc).
i\In the turbo it's recovering the heat energy. The turbo efficiency
will drop with distance from the combustion chamber, no way around that.
If the temp. is lower the turbo will pump less. No way around that. This
is why turbos are more efficient (net energy consumed/produced) than a
belt-driven supercharger (though that might be more fun to drive :-)

If you could measure pressure and velocity at specific spots along the
exhaust system, you would see high temp/pressure close to the engine,
and less so as you get to the tailpipe. Clearly, contained by a metal
pipe, there's the same amount of gases at point A, B, C, ... all the way
down.

The pressure is dropping because the heat is exiting the gases by
radiating off the pipe.

(There's turbulence and other things going on, the gases swirling
chaotically down the length of pipe, eg. the source of exhaust
restriction and why you want a large one etc.)

If you insulated the pipe from the manifold down to the rear/under
mounted turbo, you'd get more power out of it.