[AMC-List] 65 American 440 HT inspected. Mysteries!

[AMC-List] 65 American 440 HT inspected. Mysteries!

I got a chance to look at the 65 American hardtop.  I like the body style,
and the floors looked solid from underneath.

But there is serious rust around the top of the rear window, from the inside
it seems, as the rearmost roof support channel is rusted through , and light
peaks in from above the window (no headliner), but the rest of the car looks
good.  Plus there is thick cancer in small spots in the front roof corners
too, about 3" in from the edges.  Also one cancer spot on the DS rear
quarter before the wheel well, but the wheel lips and rear quarters look
solid.  This has rust in strange places, and none in the usual places.

What causes the roof to rust like that?  Is is common?  Anybody got a roof
for a 65 hardtop?  Or the top of the rear window?  I know they're all
different.  I can weld.

Also: Rear air shocks and big shackles!  Forgot to check the mounting points
but it felt very solid when I rocked it.

Window cranks suspect.
And the back seat is missing.  These are all the same, right?

Carb looks freshly rebuilt but flex plate went away which is how it ended up
at the tow company.

Exhaust empties before the axle, intentionally, is that an air shock thing?
It seems like somebody built it up for abuse, and then abused it, and
abandoned it.

They want 600 plus towing.  So, talk me into it or talk me out of it.

Thanks,
Mike Kindle