Re: [AMC-List] 64 Rambler Classic Progress Report (cont'd).

Re: [AMC-List] 64 Rambler Classic Progress Report (cont'd).

Couple of things on this. First, the head bolts are not common hardware
store fare. The 199 and 232 sixes (at least the first style with shaft
rockers) do not have dowels to locate the heads so the bolts have machined
shoulders to locate the head properly. Also, these are not grade 8 bolts,
they are grade 5. Second, this fix may not do a thing, particularly for a
40 plus year old motor. How's the oil pressure when hot (if you can drive
it, it's best to drive it for 10 to 15 minutes to get it good and hot)? If
the light flickers at all at idle, at least the cam bearings are shot and
the mains may be as well (on the 232 in my 68 American, this was caused by
broken up valve stem seals plugging up the oil pickup tube, I put a new
pump and tube in it, had the crank machined and once it was running, it
flushed more seal material out and did the same damage all over again). If
it doesn't flicker and cleaning the oil passage didn't help, you probably
have a spun cam bearing. Third, you need a new or rebuilt rocker shaft
assembly (Kanter has good prices on rebuilt shaft assemblies). The really
don't last long with no oil. You should also check the valves for excessive
play in the guides (I could easily see them move in my engine). If it turns
out that you have engine damage, it seems like it usually runs between
$1500 and $2000 to rebuild them depending upon what's wrong and if you do
any assembly yourself. Also, pistons and water pumps are different for
64-67 engines (pistons are about twice as much for those three years). I
sourced both of those items from Kanter.

As far as machining the head bolt goes, I wouldn't do it by hand. The
machined area needs to be concentric (btw, if you do this yourself, you
want to clamp on the neck and not the head, they head may not be concentric
and cause a wobble) and if you go deeper than the root diameter of the
threads, you'll weaken the bolt. Also, you need to radius the step you just
made in the bolt so it doesn't get a stress fracture and snap. This is a no
big deal machining operation on a lathe. It took all of about 10 minutes to
do. You may have to pay a machine shop an hour labor to do it but it's a
lot better to pay them than having to remove the head to fish out a broken
bolt.

Matt

At 11:58 AM 5/5/2006 +0000, you wrote:
>That's a common problem Joe! Go to
>http://www.mattsoldcars.com/techinfo/boltmod.shtml to find the best fix. A
>lathe is best, but you can carefully grind and/or file the bolt down. If
>using a grinder get a cup of water and keep it close by, dipping the bolt
>in the water after a few seconds of grinding. It will "hiss" for a second
>when you dip it, but shouldn't "hiss" for more than that. The bolt SHOULD
>NOT change color at any time! If it does you got it to hot and need to get
>another. A grade 8 bolt is all it is, so you can get a hardware store
>replacement. You'll need a 1/2" wide file or grinder though.
>
>If the engine was recently rebuilt it's poosible that the cam bearing oil
>hole wasn't properly aligned. Hope that's not the problem!
>
>--
>Frank Swygert
>Publisher, "American Independent
>Magazine" (AIM)