Re: [AMC-List] 232 in Classic

I used 2"x3" 3/16" wall rectangular tubing to mount the 4.0L in my 63 Classic, which of course had a 196 originally. All 199/232/258/4.0 engines use the same mounts. The 196 has the rubber mounts (cushions) bolted directly between the crossmember and the oil pan rails, which are low and wide. I'm not sure if it's any taller than the later engine -- if it is it's not by much.

I drilled the rect. tubing to fit the engine mounts then set the engine in place. At that point the engine is shifted into the correct position then the rect. tubing is marked from underneath through the 196 mounting holes. If there's enough room under the car 3/8" fine thread holes can be drilled and tapped (well, don't drill 3/8" holes -- whatever the tap size is). I used lock washers AND lock-tite on these. 3/16" is just enough using fine threads to tap into. Alternately drill the holes then pull the whole mess out and weld a nut inside. With the engine down in the bay you can't get a nut on inside the tubing. I tried that first!