[AMC-List] Door Beams -- Bumpers -- Javelins

[AMC-List] Door Beams -- Bumpers -- Javelins

I agree Frank about guessing up a Hornet Hatchback and making it the new
Javelin. I was not a big fan of the 71-74 Javelin's, I have only
recently come to appreciate them since my son has 2 of them a 72 and a
74. The same with the Hornet coup. In my opinion the Hatchback roof line
made the car along with the new nose. Although since they had a few
years warning on the new bumper laws I think all the automotive
manufacturers should have come up with better designs. They ALL looked
like an add on after thought. My big beef with the 70 Hornet versus the
Rambler Americans other than no hardtop was the lack of usable trunk
space. My 65 American 440 hardtop had a bigger trunk. AMC sacrificed
that for the longer nose short trunk design that had become popular
instead of a practical design. On the Hornet/Javelin you could have used
the 4 rectangular tail lights from the 73-74 Javelin or maybe make them
six and a different nose than the Hornet. I mean you had the basic car
already in production and it had a V8 option. Even though the day of the
true muscle car was almost over a 304 2 bbl or 360 4 bbl 4 speed option
in a small car like that would be quite impressive and be smog legal and
give above average gas mileage when driven nicely. The 77 Hornet AMX was
a nice looking car except for the Targa bar in my opinion. The flairs
faded into the body and looked like they were designed into the car and
not an after thought like the 78 Concord AMX. And the rear window lover
added a nice touch to the look of the roof line. Well all of this is
water over the dam now. But for me as you all know the orange 74 Hornet
I have been building over the last 2 1/2 years has slowly been made into
what I think a Hornet AMX should look like. I bought this car as a daily
driver never intending to make so many changes. It seems it just morfed
into a super project all by itself and took me along for the ride. LoL
:-)
"Doc"