Re: [AMC-List] More Valve Cover Woes (John Elle)

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 19:54, John Elle wrote:
> TOM
> SNIP
> As usual, TMI on this subject:
> SNIP

TMI squared!

> Thanks for the URL
> Unbelievable, who would have thunk it! That valve cover looks like the
> one that I installed on an '81 Spirit and it did fit a whole lot better
> on that car. However drilling the holes in the head to put the mounting
> screws in was a less than satisfactory endeavor when tried with the
> engine still in the car.

I did it with the engine assembled, but on a stand. It would have been
impossible to get that rear one tapped.

Even with a plug tap, there's not a lot of leeway in bolt length; if you
look closely at my setup you'll see I have two lockwashers to adjust
thread depth; I could have cut bolts to length but I'm lazy and while
this is inelegant it's reliable and repeatable.

The 1970 Hornet is unique, even from 71 and 72. All sorts of little
things are "off", gas caps, etc. It's sort of a 69-1/2 American. Most if
the differences between 70 and 71-72 are cosmetic though.

> > but I have to admit, I
> have not experienced the fun of trying to install a Jeep after market
> aluminum valve cover on an 81 or newer AMC I-6 installed a 1970 Hornet.

I seem to specialize in pointlessly, needlessly, complex tasks. Ergo,
the '70 232 in the '63 Classic -- in 1988, with noone to ask, I had to
rummage around to figure out I needed a V8 x-member. Stupid task.