Re: [AMC-List] Non AMC Power Steering Question

Re: [AMC-List] Non AMC Power Steering Question

" From: "Robert Sliko" <robert.sliko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" The first I noticed it was just making noise,with no leaks.  The fluid was
" at the right level but looked real brown.  Manual says to use MERCON ATF.  I
" just used a turkey baster (wife will never know) to siphon out the old fluid
" in the resevoir and replace with new.  I cycled about 2 quarts through until
" the fluid I removed looked as red as what I was pouring in.  The steering
" sounded fine at that point, thought I might be lucky.  But now it seems to
" foam and blow out the resevoir, almost like the pump is cavitating or
" somehow forcing pressure out the suction side.

i keep thinking it must have a crack, loose fitting, bad o-ring or
something, on the suction side of the pump, so that it can pull a
little air into the fluid.  but i'm baffled why it took a day for the
foaming to recur.

the other time foaming happens is when there's a leak on the pressure
side; when the fluid level gets low enough the pump pulls air from the
reservoir, but this clearly isn't your problem.