[AMC-List] More Valve Cover Woes (John Elle)

[AMC-List] More Valve Cover Woes (John Elle)

TOM
SNIP
As usual, TMI on this subject:
SNIP
Thanks for the URL
Unbelievable, who would have thunk it! That valve cover looks like the
one that I installed on an '81 Spirit and it did fit a whole lot better
on that car. However drilling the holes in the head to put the mounting
screws in was a less than satisfactory endeavor when tried with the
engine still in the car.
I have played with at least one example of an after market plastic valve
cover. It seemed to be well made and the mounting hardware made sense
etc. however the weak spot was still that bogus goo recommended to try
to seal the valve cover to the head. The OEM plastic valve cover
suffered from heat fatigue and cracks after a short period of time.
Today's plastics are probably superior for almost all applications. They
sure hold up better here in the desert heat anyway. To reiterate though
for Doc's question, I have not run across an interference problem with
assorted valve covers and engine combinations but I have to admit, I
have not experienced the fun of trying to install a Jeep after market
aluminum valve cover on an 81 or newer AMC I-6 installed a 1970 Hornet.
But I will remember to pass on the opportunity if it should occur.
I did however look up in my '70 TSM to see if there were any specific
instructions called out for changing or removing the valve cover and I
found no mention of the subject what so ever!
John