Re: [AMC-List] More Valve Cover Woes (John Elle)

Re: [AMC-List] More Valve Cover Woes (John Elle)

SNIP
John does removing the wiper motor eliminate the need to hammer the
firewall when installing an  aluminum valve cover for clearance?
"Doc"
SNIP

Doc and all
By removing the wiper motor and that pesky wiper clip, this gives you
room to maneuver the replacement (or original) valve cover down onto the
head by tipping it to get enough room and is a whole bunch easier than
trying to move the engine around (done that one too).
I have had no clearance problem with replacement valve covers, one
aluminum, one plastic, a couple of chromed and multiple stock. But as
soon as I say that I am sure that there will be an aluminum one out
there that will bite me. Many aftermarket aluminum valve covers were
actually designed for the Jeep which does not have the clearance issues
between the engine and the fire wall. However most of those were
designed for the 1981 and newer head which does not have the mounting
hole compatibility with the 1980 and older cylinder heads.
As far as gasket sealer goes I generally use Permatex formagasket #2. I
will NOT use any of the various RTV products due to general catastrophic
failure of pretty much anything I have tried the stuff with except those
specific applications that call it out for OEM and in that case it has
worked well or any other form of goo in a tube.
Anyway that has been my experience in that area.

Hey Doc! Have you evaluated your modeling skills on repairing or
reproducing the Hornet Emblem on the hood?

John