Re: [AMC-List] American project updates/ 3 questions

On April 17, 2006 Mike Kindle wrote:

> So that car got sidelined until
> recently when I used up the other half of a POR-15 brand tank sealer kit
> that I originally got to do the tank on my 65 2 or so years ago.  It seems
> to have a good shelf life if you reseal the can good like I did with duct
> tape, so I say you can do two tanks with one kit.  The leak was actually
> from the filler hose, some sharp object had punctured it.  It is a long
> special hose so I replaced it with a standard 45 degree bend filler hose and
> a standard 90 degree bend filler hose and a 2" pvc coupling.
> (?#1)My online research shows PVC being resistant to gasoline and ethanol
> but if anyone has better info let me know.

I used steel muffler tubing to fix my filler hose. I had rather bad luck with a POR-15 kit from 3-4 years ago. It was a bit stiff and barely covered inside a 19 gallon tank. Maybe I got a bad kit, though it was factory sealed, or they've improved it since then. I've always had good results from Hirsch Auto kits.

> (?#2)Anyone know how to remove the hubs and transfer them to new drums?
> I can get new drums at autozone but I suspect I'll have to somehow swap the
> "integral" hubs.

Simple -- drive out the studs then knock the hub off the drum. The studs are all that holds it together, though the center of the hub is a tight fit in the center hole of the drum. None are "one piece" as I thought at one time.

> (?#3) What is the "improved two piece design"? on southtexasamc.tripod.com
> what's the difference/advantage etc. with this flex plate vs. the original
> style which I can get locally.  Sounds like there's a story there.

I don't recall a problem with the 232 flexplate, just the one for the 196. They get brittle and crack with age. The early 232 may use the same type flexplate. Can't get to Tripod sites from work, may look once I get home.