Re: [AMC-List] American project updates/ 3 questions

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 00:02, Mike Kindle wrote:

> 65 2dr American
> I finally figured out my front brake grabbing problem is that the pair of
> nicely turned front drums I got from a junkyard car were turned off center.
> Anyone in LA have a pair of 9x2-1/2 drums?

Hey, I'm in LA, and I have a set of brand new (not turned) drums -- on
hubs -- that I bought and never used. I think 2.5x9, from a 1970 Hornet,
I can check later. New shoes, new lugs, welded-up wear-groove backing
plates then milled flat, the whole works, completely as-new or
better-than-new brakes. I'll sell the new parts for what I paid two yrs
ago and throw in the other parts (backing plates, etc).

> (?#2)Anyone know how to remove the hubs and transfer them to new drums?
> I can get new drums at autozone but I suspect I'll have to somehow swap the
> "integral" hubs.

There are no such thing as AMC integral hubs; they're all two-piece held
together with crimps at the base of the lug bolt (where the wheel fits).

http://wps.com/AMC/1970-AMC-Hornet/Jan-Apr2004.html scroll down about
half way.

> I also put in a FENCO brand remanufactured master from autozone which is
> actually sleeved, and you can see the sleeve through the reservoir ports.
> Canadian company.  Seems to work well so far.  The Cardone brand has been
> bad luck for me in the past.
>
> Future project:  I'm investigating a Rambler American w/232 AT that is
> down
> due to a destroyed flex plate.

You're in luck -- I just yanked a 232+BW auto trans. You can have the
flex plate for free (and the motor and trans if you want :-) come
'n'git-it. The motor is beyond tired, but it ran; details if you want.
The trans is old, fluid black (!) but it shifted well and no slippage or
serious leaks; would definitely want a rebuild but it's a good core, or
for parts. I have other 232/BW stuff if you want, free or trade.

I'll be around this weekend.