[AMC-List] American project updates/ 3 questions

[AMC-List] American project updates/ 3 questions

>It's great to have Mike Kindle, John Elle, and Izzy
>posting again.  Welcome back guys.

Thanks Joe.  I guess I'd been lurking for awhile.  I guess it's time for a
project update?
Rescued 69 American wagon:
This one was parked for years due to a rear bearing turning to dust because
some mechanic seems to have put it back together without any shims to set
the axle end play.  After learning how to rebuild an amc rear and redoing
all the brakes I test drove it several times.    That went well, so I
decided to fill the gas tank up because I was expecting to drive it
regularly now.  Filling the tank up revealed a gas leak and also knocked an
incredible amount of rust loose from the previously exposed metal tank
insides that quickly clogged the fuel line.  So that car got sidelined until
recently when I used up the other half of a POR-15 brand tank sealer kit
that I originally got to do the tank on my 65 2 or so years ago.  It seems
to have a good shelf life if you reseal the can good like I did with duct
tape, so I say you can do two tanks with one kit.  The leak was actually
from the filler hose, some sharp object had punctured it.  It is a long
special hose so I replaced it with a standard 45 degree bend filler hose and
a standard 90 degree bend filler hose and a 2" pvc coupling.
(?#1)My online research shows PVC being resistant to gasoline and ethanol
but if anyone has better info let me know.
Next on this car is to rebuild the suspension and then it will drive great
but still be ugly.

65 2dr American
I finally figured out my front brake grabbing problem is that the pair of
nicely turned front drums I got from a junkyard car were turned off center.
Anyone in LA have a pair of 9x2-1/2 drums?
(?#2)Anyone know how to remove the hubs and transfer them to new drums?
I can get new drums at autozone but I suspect I'll have to somehow swap the
"integral" hubs.
I also put in a FENCO brand remanufactured master from autozone which is
actually sleeved, and you can see the sleeve through the reservoir ports.
Canadian company.  Seems to work well so far.  The Cardone brand has been
bad luck for me in the past.

Future project:  I'm investigating a Rambler American w/232 AT that is down
due to a destroyed flex plate.
(?#3) What is the "improved two piece design"? on southtexasamc.tripod.com
what's the difference/advantage etc. with this flex plate vs. the original
style which I can get locally.  Sounds like there's a story there.

Thanks,
Mike Kindle