Re: [AMC-list] amc six popping thru carburetor

Since the cam has to be replaced you might want to use a better aftermarket cam. A good torque cam would make if "feel" better and should get better mileage also. Something like a mild Comp Cams selection. Not the Xtreme models, one of the others. The Xtreme cams don't work with stock springs, and the Comp springs are way too stiff for street use with regular oil. Don't forget to use a break-in oil supplement in the first oil, and I always use it in the first change too. After that it should be fine with regular oil with stock springs.

--------------
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:42:24 -0500
From: "Eddie Stakes"<eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just came back from mechainc's place in another 100 degree heat day, it is camshaft, #1&
#2 cylinders it appears, just flat. Ironically I drove the car over there yesterday and
didn't have that popping noise.Still had a noticeable miss, but the loud pop was gone,
replaced with 'softer' popping thru carb. Someone on amc-list I believe mentioned 1982s
had some cam issues so looks like engine will come out, valve job done and hope to be back
on road in it in few weeks. Thanks to all who replied also,

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"