Making a V-8 Gremlin , Part One : Acquire the crossmember < at local AMC

Making a V-8 Gremlin , Part One : Acquire the crossmember < at local AMC show >

 Well, our local Annual Potomac Ramblers show went off yesterday, I was
doing the food, with some much-needed help from others. Due to the lateness of
the season, we only had about 20 cars show up, and this time, the
Hornet/Spirit/Concords outnumbered all the AMX's and Javelins in the show! There were at
least 8 of them there, not all in the show, though. I didn't get to appreciate
them as much as I'd liked, as I had to deal with the food and trophy awards much
of the day. Oh well, maybe next year we can get others involved to help out.
I did find time to check out the vendors who showed up, only 2 big ones
this year. Bruce Wissinger brought a V-8 Gremlin/Hornet crossmember again for
the 3 straight year, he'd been asking $300 for it and had no takers previously
( Gremlins don't show up much at our show, and mine of course aren't running,
or I need to bring a truck for show necessities ). Been bead-blasted, painted,
and had the engine mount pads AND steel brackets attached. As I still haven't
made many serious junk-yard forays to get the only one I know of out of a
Hornet, I decided to plunk down some cash and get it. He said it's be his last
time down this way, he's from farther north. So, I negotiated it for $275, and I
brought it home last night.
As far as the show went, there were some nice cars. A '70 Trans AM Javelin
( GENUINE ) showed up, it's a local area car too, he took a 2nd place trophy
AND our club Best in Show award. He told me how much things have changed since
he bought the car ORIGINALLY ( yup, original owner too ). He said back in
the '70's he had people paint "baby killer" on his windshield ( back when
patriotic was Politically Incorrect, or even before PI ), and he wished he'd
painted it black...but he resisted the urge. Now,he says he gets "thumbs up" and
even got some free gas at one station ( they thought he painted his car this way
after 9/11, LOL ). So it's come 180 out since it's birth. Nice guy, and a
really sweet car. It's not a preemo restoration, it's all original, I THINK, the
factory has overspray on things, but still, for that era, it's a nice car. He's
treated it like his baby since he's owned it.
For the Group 40 cars, there was a black SX/4 there, ( first I'd seen at
our show, nice car, Joe Campbell ! ). Body is a daily driver, but still a decent
ride. A couple Concords, including a nice black '78 hatchback with vinyl
roof and 37k miles on it, about 4 Hornets, and 2 plain Spirit hatchbacks. I
GOTTA get a Gremlin ready for next year! Argh! It's killin' me.
I took some stuff to sell, I did sell a Super STock mag, the highly
desireable one with Wally Booth's Gremlin on the cover, for $12. Also one of my
wife's AMC flyswatters she crafted. Also an Eagle manual to Joe Campbell, and a
Javelin patch to another guy.
I still outspent my intake, though! I also bought some side marker lights
from Bruce, he had a bunch of them. With 8 Gremlins, I'll need'em!
Well, that's about it, I guess Part 2 will be deciding which Gremlin gets
the upgrading. LOL. Don't hold your breath waiting for Part 2 yet, though!
Take'er easy, and have a great Sunday.

Jerry