CTO switch

Charlie, thanks for reply on the vaccum hose question. I don't want
this to be complicated, but I'm still a bit confused. Your reply was
clear, and I know where the spark port is on my FY carb, but check
this out. Last night, I was reading through my Hayne's manual,
trying to figure out where all of my little hoses and fittings go.
Page 175 says that there is a line that comes off of the coolant
temperature override (CTO) switch (located at base of the engine
block on the left side) is suppose to hook up to "carburetor EGR port
spark." Then, I found out that the CTO switch has two nipples on
it. The inner one, like I said above, goes to the spark port. The
outer nipple on the CTO valve is where the distributor vaccum advance
goes. Apparently, you can check the vaccum by putting a vaccum gauge
on the outer nipple of the CTO valve where the vaccum advance hose
from the distributor goes. Dang that's a mouthful. I am finding out
that I am running into some problems because the guy that had the car
before me stripped out all of the emissions stuff, and the original
air cleaner housing was thrown out. Along with his modifications,
there are hoses not hooked up, and hoses hooked up where they are not
supposed to be hooked up. For instance, right now, there is a hose
coming off of the spark port and going into the exhause manifold.
Because all of this stuff was thrown out, is this a big problem, or
is improvising going to be possible without losing performance?
Also, would you recommend using the CTO for the vaccum source, or
just plugging it up and taking the vaccum advance hose from the
distributor straight to the spark port? I don't think I've ever used
so many mechanical terms in one day in my whole life.