65 Rambler model article in Scale Auto Enthusiast mag...

65 Rambler model article in Scale Auto Enthusiast mag...

 I was wandering the racks of magazines at the mall today after buying a few
Hot wheels earlier, and started off in the car mag section. Found nothing of
interest in the Mopar rags, then started looking in the hobbyiest section. I
picked up the Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine, then noticed the blurb on the
cover for a '65 Rambler Classic conversion. Wow! I flipped to the section,
and it's 7 pages long. The guy manages to cut up a '66 Marlin and a '69
SC/Rambler model in his quest to convert the Johan Promo 4-dr model into a
2-dr Hardtop. Nice job at the end, looks great. Apparently, Johan only made
the '65 in a 4-door model.
There's also an article showing how plastic models are designed, the molds
made, and the cost ( $100,000 to $250,000 for each model !!!!! ) Talk may be
cheap, but making models sure isn't! No wonder they balk at making any AMC
models . The machine tool I was most interested in is the " Pantograph ", it
is a cutting tool that is used to follow the larger 1/10th scale mock-up
model precisely, and allows them to cut a mold in mulitple scales by virtue
of having an angled arm and cutting head, which is adjustable. I always
wondered how they did it! It produces an exact copy of the wooden 1/10 scale
mockup in metal down to HO scales. Pretty slick! This April 2000 issue is
well worth the price for you AMC hobbyists. Other articles include Model T
kits, '59 Plymouth Sport Fury model, plus reader's car models.

Jerry Casper