Re: [gremlintime] Gremlin design niggles

Re: [gremlintime] Gremlin design niggles

I love my 1976 Gremlin.

There are a few design issues I have with it. That cargo area is way too
small with that huge tire clogging up that space. Though, I like the
1970-1976 rear end a lot better than the 77-78. The styling is a lot more
interesting to me. Plus, what would a Gremlin be without its Gremlin-logo gas
cap? In 1977, the license plate covered the plain cap up. By the way...the
Gremlin, with a gas cap that was that neat should have come with a standard
locking cap from the beginning.

I would have given the Gremlin a clamshell tailgate or hatchback design from
the beginning, though. I'd also have made a rear window
wiper-washer-defroster as standard equipment. If you're going to have those
teeny mirrors and giant blind spot, you've GOT to have a back window you can
see out of. But, alas, rarely does the Gremlin have a clean rear window due
to its design, unless you have an air deflector. Come to think of it, larger
mirrors (and a standard one on the right side) would be wonderful. I'd also
split the fold-down rear seat like they did for the 1979 Spirit. The front
bench seat could have a 3rd seat belt or mini-console. The only solution to
that itty-bitty rear seat, though, is maybe a 2-4inch stretch in wheelbase,
with that stretch going solely to moving the back seat forward of the frame
rail, so it's flat.

Also, front disc brakes would have been nice if they were standard by 1974.
Finally, mechanically, I'd say that the Grem was in dire need of standard
Twin-Grip. With that little weight over the rear wheels, Gremlins in the snow
don't stand a chance. Thank God AMC engineers put in a 21-gallon tank back
there, though. I like the rear drive, though, because back in the 70s,
front-drive was pretty new and had major faults (lest we forget the GM "X
cars" of 1980). As for 4-wheel-drive...heck...that's what the 1981-1982 AMC
Eagle Kammback was for! I want one!

As for engines, I think it would have been wiser of AMC to debut a 304-based
four in 74 or 75 (duh)...as well as dump the 3-speed manual transmission for
a 4-speed, and later 5-speed. The stickshift would be cooler with a console,
too. I wish the 2bbl carb was an option on the 232/258 for 1976, though. I
think the 304 was a big enough engine to shoehorn into the front of the car,
though. The 360 or 401 were just way too big and heavy and would not have
sold at all. Heck, the Gremlin, up until 1974 (Pinto and Vega got V6s that
year, I think), was the ONLY subcompact in the world to even offer a SIX,
much less a V8. I think it would have been cool to bring back the 304 for the
1978 Gremlin GT, though. I mean, c'mon, a car with such sporty looks, and
only 120 horsepower under the hood?

This may sound like a lot of complaining, but I don't mean it that way. I
love my Gremlin. I drive her everywhere. In fact, I got back from a trip last
night in her. I clocked 525 miles in her yesterday (22mpg average)...rarely
stopping...and she never missed a beat. I've put 16,850 miles on her in only
7 months, and she hasn't given me any problems...except that she stalls when
she's cold, and the 4-wheel drums lock up pretty readily. Like I said before,
I hit a barrier in her and she's still going...strongly. She's safe, gets
19-22mpg, looks great, trimly sized, and comfy (for front-seaters, anyway.

I couldn't really ask for a better car...although I'd like a Spirit
Sedan/Kammback or Ambassador/Rebel/Marlin for a second car someday.

Rhett <><

-'76 Gremlin Custom "Laura Nilmerg, The Disco Lady" (Sienna Orange/white
stripes)

<< I definetly prefer the smaller back window design, although it does make
it
hard to put big stuff in their. I won a 19" TV with a built in vcr, and not
only could I not get it in the back window of my 74, but I couldn't get it
in through the door, either.
I like the idea of the deeper stereo area in the dash. I tried putting in a
cd player, and it hung out half way.
I would not have wanted them to go to frontwheel drive. I'd rather drive a
car from an obscure company than one that's known to make crappy little fwd.
A 4wd option would have been nice.
4 speed transmission.
Some sort of tailgate would've been nice. Either a fold down, a swivel out,
or the grem-bin that slides out.
They should've made it a coupe. I think I would give up my factory optioned
ears for that. >>