Kevin in a Hole

Kev - welcome to the Real World of Old Car Ownership!

Moog is a good company that makes front end replacement
parts for AMC . These are better than what AMC supplied
as they put out to bid for the least expensive supplier -
and bought cheap ........ 'Rambler Mentality' .

As every 'cool car' owner finds once they get a Project -
it is best to get the basics done while the car is down -
in your case - while the engine is out .

I will suggest finding someone with a portable weld rig
and spot welding that oil pick-up tube to the wall it inserts
into - these are known to fall out from vibration at later
dates .

How many miles are on the car ?

It is MUCH easier to rebuild the upper and lower
control arms with New Moog Bushings while that
motor is OUT! .

The Originals are probably quite worn and will contribute
to not so crisp handling and ride - yeah, it is another
thing to do and you'll need a spring compressor and most
likely those rubber spring cushions to replace the rotted
hard compressed originals .

Check the Tie Rod ends - use a prybar - under the
arm itself - if you can move the ball joints out of their
sockets at all - they may need to be replaced .

Try that Orange Citrus Hand Cleaner - on the interior
of the engine compartment / steering gear etc.
it really works much better than GUNK .

Take your time and plenty of pictures you can
post on the Refridgerator for that Before / After
thing - it is enjoyable to see what was and is
no longer ( a heap to a jewel ) .

Brien.
new york

From: "Kevin" <grinding_gremlin@xxxx>
Subject: Lower strut rod bushings

Hmmmm, let me answer my own question. I called Auto Value, My
favorite
place to buy my parts, They alway come through for me. They said they
did not have any in stock but they can order a "lower strut rod kit"
direct from the factory for $40.73. I'm not sure if that means
Chrysler is making them or some other company. It would be
interesting
to me if Chrysler were produing them because I was under the
impression that Chrysler wanted to bury AMC, Like it never existed.
At
any rate I thought it was a little on the spendy side, but I guess
they retail for over $50.00 elswhere. What a deal!! I was also able
order a pick-up coil for $38.50 and a new power stearing pressure
hose
for $22.35. All that is left is that cooling line for the tranny.
Then
we should be mechanically sound until I break something else off. tee
hee. I may have to do break work, but I'm pretty sure I replaced all
the breaklines, although they probably should be bled. next year it
will be the body work. I'm going to try my hand at apolstery this
winter, why leave it to the professionals when I can screw it up
myself. tee hee Seariosly I'm sure I can do it. All I need to do is
copy what is there and get an apolstery book, which I have and
already
read a couple of times. I can do this! I'm really enjoying this resto
a lot more than I thought I would, It's hard work, but when it starts
coming together it feels so great! I can already see her with a fresh
minty green coat of paint w/ ralley wheels and the lttle red "X"
glistening in the sun. Ok so it's not a Gremlin X, I do have a little
red X for the grill and I'm gonna put it on anyway because I think it
makes it look special,...er not that the car isn't special without
it......am I digging myself a hole? at any rate take care everyone,
Kevin