Re: "Original" mirrors on Gremlins - oval AND rectangular....

Re: "Original" mirrors on Gremlins - oval AND rectangular....

<< Can someone please look at this mirror on ebay and tell me if it will fit
my
1970 AMC Gremlin. Is it the original? Will it fit??
Thanks Rebecca >>

Most of the book pictures I have of Gremlins show a rectangular
mirror...but as with most Marketing photos, they show only the
top-of-the-line stuff, NOT the cheapest, lowest-priced models, generally
speaking. The oval sideview mirror is probably correct for a base model
Gremlin, as the '71 I have in my driveway has that EXACT mirror. Dave may be
correct that his is rectangular, and most may have been, but by and large,
there are always cheaper versions of items on cars. My '76 project Gremlin in
the garage also has an oval outside mirror, NOT rectangular! So just because
it doesn't conform to what "most" Gremlins MAY have had, doesn't mean it's
not either correct OR original. It just may not be the top-of-the-line
offering. Unfotunately, without a dealership book to confirm items like that,
it may be hard to tell. I just looked in my Crash Estimating guide, and there
is only one manual mirror listed for 70-71 years, P/N 8992612 . That DOESN'T
mean AMC didn't offer a cheaper one, with a generic brand of mirror, that is
technically correct, too. just that it isn't listed in my one reference book.
Anyway, the mirror should fit. My two cents worth,

Jerry in Virginia