Re: [gremlintime] '73 Gremlin X V-8 f/s

In a message dated 3/14/03 12:20:34 AM Eastern Standard Time, O2BAGPz@xxxx
writes:

> The 390 4spd idea is fine but a 302/289 C-4 setup fits with such a minimal
> amount of modifcation. So much easier than a Vega V8 change out it ain't
> even
> funny. Not only that but the Pinto is a much more solid unit to start with
> therefore requiring much less extra bracing if one wants the project to
> outlive the motor. The Gremlin (which I have not as yet had the opportunity
>
> to own) being a bobbed Hornet was designed stout enough for a V8 from the
> get-go. The biggest factor really on the Pinto conversion is to start with
> " 71 or ' 72 because the steering column has a section at the box end that
> is
> a large dia. flexible cable essentially. With just a small amount of
> pesuading with a deadblow mallet in the tranny tunnel the motor and trans
> can
> be pushed back just enough to provide clearance. This is not anything like
> as
> easy with a 390. You do however have clearance for launch!
> DANA
> aka orphanautos

all AMC V8s are the same exterior wise so if you have a factory V8 Gremlin
and wanted to drop in a AMC 390 its a drop in!!! putting a 302 in a gremlin
isn't as easy as you think as you'd have to make your own motor mounts,and i
dig V8 Pintos and V8 Vegas as well but the Gremlin comes out on top as the
easiest to make a V8 the Vega is a piece of $hit tho they were cool with a V8
stock they were garbage cars,the pinto tho was always considerd a dork car of
the 70s much like the gremlin as well they were made pretty decent and really
don't deserve the crap slung thier way!!
Bart M.
73 Gremlin 360/T10"former 232/904 Gremlin"