From: fredrick_bc_westerncanada [mailto:fburns@xxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 1:12 AM
To: gremlintime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gremlintime] The Great Gremlin Challenge!

well for me it was anyways! This novice spent the last two days
trying to figure out why my recently acquired Grem was stalling out.
Starts just fine, idles well and runs like a top until it gets warm.
Then she sputters, backfires and stalls but only when I press on the
accelerator. I have been diggin' through my manuals and things seem
to be pointing towards the accelerator pump. The carb is an orginal
Carter 1-YF and I am thinking I should bite the bullet and get a new
one. That way I can rule it out and start looking at vacuum etc. It
would be a new experience for me changing the carb but from what I
have read I should be able to put the new one in.

So, I will get her running properly and get back on the road!
yeahhhhh! not so fast pilgrim! I had the car up on a hoist at a
muffler shop and got a good look at the rusting frame :-( I started
poking at places I couldn't really get at when I got the car.
Considering I only paid $300 US for it the parts are worth a whole
lot more than that, so I couldn't lose.

Now the dilemna. Seeing that my local car buff/restoration autobody
guy said it would likely take about $ 3,000 US to repair and renew
the body I got to thinking....hey! there is a really great body at
Pick-a-Part!...most of the parts are gone now but the shell is still
there! hehe...I got to figuring that I could maybe buy it off them
and eventually build a new Grem out of the two cars! Nope. Turns out
that in this province once a car goes to the wrecker's for parts it
is deregistered and can only be picked apart. Once the parts are gone
the shell goes to the crusher! whaaaaaaaaaaa! but but but...the shell
is a car part tooo isn't it?

Oh! but I say wait! James Johnson has that purple body in decent
condition, the one I am in the process of buying the fenders and
wheel well moldings from, and maybe future cut out quarter
panels....but why not buy the whole thing (what's left of it) and
find a way to have it sent up here? maybe a flat deck heading this
way empty or something...I would hate to see that shell end up in the
crusher too!

Good plan I say...but! darned gov't might get in the way! I have to
find out from them what the rules are for importing a pick apart
parts car that is still in the hands of a private individual.

I know! take a few months off...camp out in James' town and rebuild
the purple gremlin from parts off mine! *L*...right, I would need
more than a few months I would think! and then which car is it? the
one with the tag on the purple car? or would I swap tags? *L*

It's crazy I tell ya! *L* why one can't just build a car from
whatever is available and as long as it passes a safety inspection
and emissions test is a $64,000 burocratic red tape question!

Given the fuel system troubles I have had the past 2 days I am
thinking that when I get to Mildred's to pick up the Levi, I just
might find the nearest secure mini-storage...and then arrange to have
it transported later.

Anyways back to the fuel system problem. Sure would appreciate some
input on that. The carb is on order and won't get it until tomrrow
afternoon. So I am looking at the following day before I tackle that
project. Gonna enjoy it though! Under the hood tinkering away,
learning as I go...wouldn't have felt that good working on another
make of car tho...just something about the AMC!

Just noticing here how long this post is! Gosh, not only am I
catching up to Jerry in the Gremlins owned department, I may have
surpassed him as a rambler (pardon the pun!)

Freddie

a fleet of Gremmies

Community email addresses:
Post message: gremlintime@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe: gremlintime-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx

Shortcut URL to this page:
http://www.onelist.com/community/gremlintime
Gremlintime(Home of the AMC Gremlin on the WWW):
http://www.geocities.com/gremlintime