Re: [gremlintime] how to drain / burn off a Gremlin GT gas tank... ideas

on 7/14/02 8:45 PM, Gremlingts@xxxx at Gremlingts@xxxx wrote:

> I have a sneaky suspicion that with the bad gas in the tank, it probably
> won't pass the State emissions test in Virginia. I need some ideas/options on
> the easiest way to deal with this. I DON'T have 20 gallons worth of gas can
> storage, either. I've been thinking of letting the car run til it runs out of
> gas....just let it idle all evening while i"m home. That way, no gas in the
> mouth, no problem getting rid of the leftover putrid gas, etc. It runs ok,
> won't idle yet ( just fixed a rotted gas line, and replaced the carb that was
> Foxworthyied from an Eagle and Concord Frankenstein marriage ), but needs the
> idle adjustment done. The gas gauge is reading VERY full, I"m hoping it's
> stuck some, or I'll to wait a long time for it to run out. But I don't want
> to have the old gas sitting around in containers, there's no way to legally
> get rid of it in Virginia anymore. Oh well. Anyone know how long a car takes
> to idle away a full tank of gas? Never done it before. Thanks for any input,
>
> Jerry in Virgina
> Gremlin GT countdown 'til Kenosha repairs...

I had the same problem once. The gas was probably about five years old. I
just drained it and put about five gallons into each of my other 3 cars. It
didn't cause any problems at all. Just a thought.

Onree
(now with '81 Eagle SX4 which is SPIRITually a Gremlin)