Gremlin work postponed...worked on a '81 Concord today for a lady....

Gremlin work postponed...worked on a '81 Concord today for a lady....

 I worked half a day at my job, then hit a flea market, then called up
this lady who had contacted me via Email about her Concord...seems she lives
only 10 miles from where I work, so I decided to go visit her this afternoon.
We hooked up, and checked each others cars out ( I was driving the '74 bronze
Gremlin today ), and together we looked over her cream yellow with vinyl top
Concord. We got it started, then she let me drive it around,and once it
warmed up in about 2 miles, it started dying and stalling. Had to drop it to
neutral to get it to run at the lights. Then under load, it would shudder and
seem to knock. We made it back to the parking lot at her apartment, then
proceeded with the process of elimination of problems. Found the fast idle
vacuum line disconnected. Found a small screw missing in the top carb pump
cover ( no biggie ). Then found the REAL culprit - one of the small coolant
lines from the water pump ran up and over, and was laying on the fuel line to
the carb! I 'bout burnt the skin off my finger touching the gas line at that
spot! Whew! The rest of the line was cold to the touch, even with the engine
bay hot, but not THAT spot! I took several tie wraps and pulled the hose off
the line...the idle smoothed out a bit, and ran fine...so we took it out
again....this time, no stalling, loss of power, or knocking. Looks like the
problem is solved! She's been having an H of a time , as that's her only
transportation. Glad I was able to get it fixed for her. She had turned in
her rental car today, hoping I'd show up. :) She took me out to a nice
Italian restaurant for a reward, as I refused to take any money...it was fun
working on it, and getting it going again. She's an artist, and has drawn
pictures of her '77 Gremlin ( yeah, one of those "rare" ones you never see ),
although it's been stored out in Kansas at her parent's place for the last 10
years, and hasn't seen the road since. She is VERY sentimental about her
AMCs, so I can relate. Hopefully I can talk her into doing some artwork on
Gremlins for me. heh heh! We'll see. Anyway, just got home, it's late, and
it's been a long day. Guess I"ll go thumb thru some more old '50's Popular
Mechanics mags looking for AMC-related stuff ( and model trains, etc. ) It's
beena good AMC day, as I helped save another one from a frustrated owner.
Hopefully I can get her interested in joining our local club, but she needs a
job first ( she can do EXCELLENT technical drawings, so I hear ), so if any
of you know of jobs in the Wash. DC area for artistic technical talent, let
me know. Later,

Jerry CAsper
Woodbridge, VA
74 Gremlin cruisin'....