Re : EAGLE-MANIA

"Thanks again for all your help re: the Gremmie windshield.
Now that I know what I am going to do about the windshield (buy a new
one) I need some more help about another item...a noisy rod bearing...is
that serious? Is it an indication of a bigger and costly problem? You
see, t........"
3 Eagle SW for sale locally...one is an '84 that can easily qualify for
collector plates..they guy is asking $950 for it...only problem is
--------------------

When I went to purchase my EAGLE Series 50 'Gremlin 4X4'
I was told of a con rod knock .

This AutoParts Store guy who collects EDSELS and has an organized
Rod Run on Tuesday Nites in New Jersey had got the car from
a Donation Lot.

The Original Little Old Lady Owner couldn't drive anymore.
She gave the car to her Little Old Lady Friend -
Matilda Feldhaus -who now too old to drive and with the
car making knocking noises - donated it to the Church.
They donated it to a Donation Lot.
They couldn't find anything to do with a non-running DEFUCNT
Manufacturer weird looking car .
The AutoParts Store guy got it for free.
His 'Mechanic' took off the valve cover - lost a few parts -
and pronounced that the 'engine needed work'.

I sent a deposit in of $550.00 to keep the car 'till I got to
New Jersey after the Holiday - July 4th.

When I got there I put the valve cover back on - & got a new
battery from the AutoParts guy.

I started the engine and heard a metallic knock noise - not the
thudding rod bearing. Noise is real scary rapping .
Sounds like a Rock Hammer on the Block - {lifters} :) .

I feathered the throttle a bit to 'float' the crankshaft without load -
*SUDDENLY* the engine went quiet and purred nicely.
I quick shut down - went in to the AutpParts Store who was selling
the car - "Yeah, it's a rod alright - big job - motors' shot
.........seen this
before on these American Motors Cars.......

"What will you give me for it ?"...........
'Not what you want !..................'

His girlfriend reneged on helping him with a 10K note against
his mortgage .

>From sitting on an uplifted cam lobe - a lifter had bled down and stuck .
Now the lifter was getting smacked by the cam lobe like a golf ball.

I feathered the throttle with no load on the engine - and the lifter
pumped up. Maybe yours will do the same - maybe not.

This lifter problem IS noted - by a number of AMC listers - usually they
are replaced .

If you do replace the lifters - look at a CRANE 260H cam Kit complete
for the swap . Worth the extra effort. Use a Roller Chain Timing Kit .

I honestly doubt it is a rod bearing.
Just one bearing going is rare .

Those Jeep 258 engines get put thru hell -
run hot - without enough oil - etc. and still
have 250K miles on them.

I believe your EAGLE is what mine had - and for that
I was able to purchase the car for $600.00 with a new
battery - down from $1,500.000 .

Good Hunting !

brien.
1981 GREMLIN 4X4