Re: Audi 4 to 401 Conversion...don't do it!

Re: Audi 4 to 401 Conversion...don't do it!

 I remember checking the parts out, the 4-cylinder crossmember is
different than the inline 6 or the V-8-, I believe. I'll have to go back to
check. But all the driveline components of the 4-cyl Gremlin are VERY
lightweight, the suspension would have to be totally replaced out of a 6 or
V-8 car to withstand the 401's larger size and weight and HP. There's no way
you could leave the existing parts in and just drop a V-8 of that size in.
Besides, the 4-cylinder car would be very nice car to do a "custom" Porsche
job on, remember this is the same motor without the fuel injection that
Porsche used. Instead of mangling an original 4-cylinder car, of which I've
seen very few, you might want to consider doing some custom mods to the
original drivetrain, or putting a Hi-po Porsche motor in the car as a real
head-turner. And no one could accuse you of being "unoriginal", as it had a
Porsche motor originally, it'd still have one,just with lots more power. I've
wondered if the Cecil show would allow the Audi-powered Gremlins to run in
the drag race, as it is an original motor, just not an AMC. Don't think
anyone's ever tried to do it, though. :) Anyway, you'll have a hell of a
conversion to do to the stock suspension if you try to drop a V-8 into the
bay, so my opinion is stay away from this on this particular car. Save it for
another heavier-duty Gremlin.

Jerry
7 Gremlins and counting...still 7 ! No more!