Re: [gremlintime] General Questions????

Gremlinman,
Do not waste your time on a 304, if you have to buy it and then rebuild
it you will be much better off finding a 360 from a Wagoneer and putting it
in. All the AMC V8s are the same dimensions externally and they did not make
separate small and big blocks, therefore the 360 or 401 (good luck) will
bolt in just as easily as a 304 and make much better power for the same
money and work. The 360s and 401 all come with the big valve heads from the
factory, even the 2bbl versions. All V8s from late 71 and up came with 58cc
combustion chambers so using a flat top piston will give you from 10:1 to
11:1 depending on the engine size and overbore etc.

The transmission in your car should be a version of the 904/998/999
Torque Command

I don't think any Gremlin came from the factory with 4:10 gears but they
could have been installed later. The Model 20 is a good rear but they do
have a weak link and that is the 2 piece axles. You can purchase the one
piece axles from the aftermarket but they are a little pricey, about
$300-$400. I had a friend of mine weld the 2 piece axles together on my 360
4spd Javelin and they worked fine, I have not heard of anyone else doing
this but my friend is a competant welder and if he says it will hold I
believe him.

I would still buy the parts car as you will need the crossmember and
engine mounts for your conversion

Good Luck
Brian Dyba
Baltimore MD